Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Work It Out - Running Playlist

With my last playlist post about study music I felt like somewhat of an authority on the subject. Not so much with this one. I'm not a fan of the gym...at all. I have to have fresh air when I'm working out...cut to me "trail running" (read: stumbling through the woods).
The best way to get through this shit we call exercising is to get a good playlist going. For me, there's a total difference between a hypothetically good workout playlist and one that you can actually run to. I find myself thinking "oh yeah, this would be great to put on my workout playlist" and when I actually try, it's absolute crap. The successful songs must have something to do with the rate of footsteps vs. the bpm of the song... or something? Who knows. All I know is that if it drowns out my wheezing and pushes me to go that extra step (distracts me from how little I've actually run) then it's good in my book.

Here are some of the songs that have personally worked for me to hobble along to:

1. Dance (A$$) - Big Sean  (THE VERSION WITHOUT NICKI MINAJ PLEASE)
This is my holy grail running song. I can just go for miles (...not miles). There's something horribly motivating about hearing a man talk about a fit ass at the same time your sad ass is limping up a tiny hill. Female degradation is a key ingredient in this process, folks. AWESOME.



2. E.T. - Katy Perry (THE VERSION WITH KANYE WEST PLEASE)
I hate this song. I really really really hate this song. However, it seriously works perfectly for me as a running song. That makes me just so angry. My feet are just totally in sync with whatever bullshit Katy Perry is yammering about. You win again, KP.



3. Beautiful People - Chris Brown & Benny Benassi
I wish I wasn't supporting Chris Brown but here we are. As long as I downloaded it illegally, right? Ugh, screw you for making enjoyable music.



4. Professional Griefers - deadmau5 feat. Gerard Way
I think I've talked about this song before so I'm just going to stop while I'm ahead. (ahead of what?)



5. Hold You - Gyptian (Major Lazer Remix)
Don't even bother listening to any other version besides the Major Lazer remix. I saw a video of a bunch of naked people at Burning Man dancing around to this song a couple years ago and it's been my jam ever since. What? Seriously.



6. (We Stay) Up All Night - Buraka Som Sistema
I may or may not find myself singing along to this when running which is totally fine. A fun ("fun") thing to do is to grab songs in different languages that you can (sort of) speak. You'll find yourself trying to decipher the lyrics and sing along rather than focus on what an idiot you look like.



7. Express Yourself - Diplo
I must have a thing for asses. Have you seen this music video. Jaysus. There might be (there is) a certain element of jealousy and motivation since my ass basically goes from my lower back to my thighs without any sort of curvature. Blessed. But ok, can we just appreciate how there is an entire song about pussy popping?



8. 212 - Azealia Banks
Now, I know what you're thinking. This song is over! Shut up. It's amazing. She can be as much of a drama-starting biotch on Twitter as she wants. I don't give a single fuck. She made a damn good song...and really the whole 1991 EP is brilliant.



9. You (Ha Ha Ha) - Charli XCX
I love a good Charli XCX moment and this song is amazing. YES I KNOW IT'S GOLD PANDA SHUT UP. That's the beauty. If you want the lyrics to distract you, go for that. If not, just listen to You by Gold Panda. Done deal. Can't both versions be good? Apparently not based on the YouTube comments.



10. Watch the Sun Come Up - Example
Example is just one of the best, bar none, but this song will always be my personal fave of his. There's no reasoning behind that or anything, it's definitely one of his least dance-y/hardcore songs but I'll never get sick of it. This and Kickstarts are probably tied for running.





Ten? Is that enough? Whatever. I might make another updated post later once the snow melts (never) and I start working out again (never). I'm actually really curious what everyone else's playlist is like? Leave a comment? Is that a thing? Do people do that? I'm questioning everything? Good-bye?


No comments:

Post a Comment