Thursday, March 14, 2013

ALBUM REVIEW: Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience

Here it is. The 10 millionth review of what possibly could be the most anticipated album of all time. I don't think I should set myself up to even review this since it will definitely get lost in a sea of New York Times level shit that I can't possibly compete with. Oh well, I just feel like I need to do this.

There's no doubt that this album is going to be compared with FutureSex/LoveSounds so let's just get that out of the way right now. Justin Timberlake created what is possibly one of the best albums of all time a couple years ago (yes, all time) so even coming out with a follow-up album is beyond ambitious. In short, no, The 20/20 Experience is not as good as FutureSex/LoveSounds but HARDLY ANYTHING IS so let's all just get over it. We all had ridiculously high expectations for this album and unfortunately, they weren't met, but I'm not mad. In fact, I'm the opposite. I'm ecstatic. Setting all comparisons aside, this album stands alone as a really great pop album that deserves some credit.



I think the biggest difference about The 20/20 Experience, that many fans are having a hard time stomaching, is that it's not really an album of singles. Yes, they play Suit & Tie on the radio but even that isn't really a single the way "My Love" or "Sexy Back" were. Those songs were built for radio play...although can we all agree that the album versions are 100x better than the radio versions? With The 20/20 Experience Justin owns that extended ending/transition thing that we've come to know and love. Really, whoever came up with "Experience" as part of his album title was spot on. These songs are exactly that: an experience. Most of them are over seven minutes long and there really aren't any two songs on the album with the same feeling. Represented on the album there's classic Timbaland-style pop (Tunnel Vision), Latin influence (Let the Groove Get In), Classic R&B (That Girl) and something that sounds sort-of Radiohead-esque (Blue Ocean Floor). Mirrors is probably the song that most of the FutureSex/LoveSounds fans will like. It's a pretty similar sound we've heard from him before but still slightly different? I'm terrible at describing things. Sorry.

Maybe it's just me but I'm really digging it. I took advantage of the iTunes full stream deal and just listened to the whole thing, beginning to end. If anything, this album proves that Justin Timberlake is pure talent walking. He's putting his own spin on so many different sounds and I give him so much credit for that. Just like with Suit & Tie I really think this album will take some time for some people to appreciate and get used to. It really is good. Trust me.



My personal favorite tracks: That Girl, Pusher Love Girl, Let the Groove Get In


At the end here I just wanted to note that Justin Timberlake is promoting this album like a boss. Letting us stream the whole thing before we buy? Giving live performances for a week straight on Jimmy Fallon? Finally the fans get to experience something BEFORE buying it! What a concept. Thanks JT. Class act. Other artists: take note.

No comments:

Post a Comment