Friday, March 1, 2013

Musical Memories

I think the great thing about music is that it sticks around in your memory the same way smell does. I'm still automatically transported to my grandma's kitchen whenever I smell Palmolive dish soap. Since I've been taking a little jaunt down memory lane lately I thought I would list a couple songs that I can't listen to without thinking of a particular memory.

Crash Into Me - Dave Matthews Band
I was six or so years old. The song told me to hike up my skirt a little more, so I did. My mom put an end to that rather quickly.


Head Over Feet - Alanis Morissette
On Thanksgiving my (much older and cooler) cousins were singing this song while playing Super Mario Bros. I had no idea what they were singing but pretended I knew the words too. This scenario is pretty much the story of my life.


Songbird - Eva Cassidy
I don't know if there is a song that has a stronger memory attached to it than this one. I won't go in to the details because this blog is supposed to be light-hearted and whatever but it is an incredibly beautiful song that deserves a listen if you haven't heard it before.


It's All Been Done - Barenaked Ladies
My cousin gave me Stunt on CD (!) randomly when she was visiting my house. This was pre "One Week" hysteria and I was thrilled that I was ahead of the trends for once. Unfortunately, I had to re-record it on a cassette tape since school bus listening was essential and I only had a Walkman. Woe is me.


The Next Episode - Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg
One of my friends got this CD for her birthday and it was a big deal. Explicit CDs were something that a kid would do anything in their power to get their hands on. They were more valuable than gold or all the Beanie Babies. We were all listening to it at school, passing the headphones around (#thuglife) and when it got to my turn, the volume was turned completely up (the only cool way to listen). I was terrified. I put the headphones on my ears and swiftly turned the volume down to a bearable level, jammed out for a minute, then turned the volume all the way up as I handed them to the next person. Point- my ears.


Cathedrals - Jump Little Children
They played this song on one of my favorite television shows when the main character dies (a la The OC and Imogen Heap). For some reason it really stuck with me and I don't think I've listened to a song more than this song throughout my life. It was also the first song that I tried to learn on guitar...I think tried needs to be the key word here.


Eleanor Rigby - The Beatles
A boy I had a major crush on was obsessed with rock music. I hadn't boarded that train yet and didn't know what to talk to him about. Cut to me briefly stalking him and listening to absolutely anything he mentioned for even a split second. The Beatles were a tricky nut for me to crack. I just couldn't find anything I liked. I guess when you're used to listening to Ashlee Simpson nothing else appeals to you. As soon as I heard Eleanor Rigby everything changed. This song struck a serious chord with me and I've been a Bealtes superfan ever since. Thanks megacrush!


Apply Some Pressure - Maximo Park
My best friend that I was always trying to be as cool as burned me a CD with this song on it. Around this time I was close to getting my driver's license. I had a vision that I was going to rock out to this song on the way to school, in my new car, and everyone would turn their heads going "whoa! who is this cool girl listening to a British rock band! she has the coolest shoes!" This vision never became a reality. My Toyota Camry wasn't exactly worthy of head-turns. I still listen to this song while driving though. It's just damn good.




What are some of your memory songs? For some reason the ones that stuck with me were very adolescent oriented. My teenage angst was very music-centric I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment