Saturday, April 12, 2014

SHOW REVIEW: Fallout Concert Series - April 11, 2014 (Josh Tarp & The Still, American Youth, Marah in the Mainsail)

Last night I got invited to cover/review a concert series that is put on once a month by the Fallout Arts Initiative in Minneapolis. It was a really great relaxed night full of good music and fun people.
Doors opened at 7:30 and I arrived just a little bit after that. I probably could have showed up around 8..or 8:30..the opening band didn't exactly have their shit together timing-wise, but oh well. Although there was a late start, I got to get a good look at the space.


The building is located at 2601 2nd Ave S in Minneapolis and is a great place for a show. Next time they put on one of these concerts I highly suggest checking it out. The acoustics were amazing and there is plenty of room for a large crowd with a raised loft complete with couches and chairs for those people that wanted to have more of a birds-eye view of the action. Check out their website and Facebook page for more information on the space, and future events. Links right here -->

Website and Facebook

They put on a really great event. Getting there is easy. It's right next to MCAD and there is ample street parking either right by the Co-op, or kitty-corner, and you can just cut through MCAD's parking lot.

Now, for the actual shows.

The first band to play was Josh Tarp and The Still. I really enjoyed their set and they have a really dynamic sound with all the voices fitting really brilliantly together. I always like groups with strong male and female vocals and so I was really digging their music. They are a local band from Minneapolis and I'm sure they have gigs and things that are coming up that you should probably check out if you're into that sort of folk/rock sound. They got thumbs up from me, and from my friend that I was with. A really pleasant surprise. They have an EP coming out...sometime...but for right now you can download their song "Ghost in the Radio" for FREE right here: link! They closed their set with this song and it's a really sort of haunting but peppy track that I really liked. Check out their Facebook page for more info and to stalk them for any upcoming shows.

Here's a couple random photos of the band:





The next band that played is called American Youth. They are another local band and are sort of Southern Rock? Country Rock? Folk rock? Something like that. They have a really powerful sound and I enjoyed the crap out of their set. There were some sound issues but they literally didn't effect the set at all while they were playing. You can bet I'm going to be looking up when they are playing and going to try to go to another show. It was worth every penny of the entire $6 just to see the bassist rocking out. Impressive stuff. Impressive beards. Check out their Facebook page here: Link! and try and stalk them a little bit too.

Here are more random photos:







There was another band playing after American Youth but I unfortunately had to leave. I still think you should check out their Facebook page and listen to them on Spotify and things like that and if you're really into them you should buy their stuff on iTunes. They are called Marah in the Mainsail and I really love their sound. Very folk-ish with a sort of rougher edge. Here, listen to this music video to get a feel for them:

Overall it was an awesome experience. Great way to spend a Friday night and I highly suggest looking up Fallout Arts Initiative and taking a look at what they are offering in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment