Monday, August 26, 2013

"The Best Album I've Heard In Five Years"?

So when you have hype like this attached to your album, I'm going to have high hopes when I listen. Blah blah blah if you don't feel like reading the whole blog post, it doesn't disappoint. Spoiler alert? I'm not one to say what's the best or worst album I've heard, especially in five years time, but I know for sure it's damn good. DAMN good.

Now, on to the actual review....

Like many others, I heard of Foy Vance from Ed Sheeran and had the privilege of seeing him live in Los Angeles opening for Ed in February. He blew my socks off. Is that an expression people still use? All I know is I was wearing socks, and then I wasn't. The guy has an incredible voice that wraps you up in rasp and then makes you cry and then your mouth hits the floor and then you pass out and then you wake up in heaven. I mean, what? I don't even know. Although I heard of Foy from Ed, their styles are quite different. Since they are associated acts, and Ed Sheeran features on a track on Foy's album (Guiding Light...check it out...it's amazing), they do get put in the same boat a lot of time. Although they both have extremely poignant lyrics and a wonderful guitar-based sound, Foy has a stronger blues component to his music and his own unique style.

Foy Vance - Los Angeles, CA - Feb 2013

"Joy of Nothing" is Foy's first album in six years. It's stellar. You can hear the blues, folk, rock and everything in-between all mashed together in a gorgeous sound. With whatever sound on whatever track, the lyrics are commonly dripping with soul, strength, and a bit of grit. I can't help but think of some old blues and rock albums my dad introduced to me when I was young coupled with something much more modern.



Some of the stand out tracks on the album, for me, are the title track "Joy of Nothing", "Janey" and "At Least My Heart Was Open" although they really are all worth a listen. I'm really looking forward to seeing Foy live again in October. I'd advise seeing if he's playing somewhere near you...chances are, he probably is. Link! And let me just say, he does this thing where he uses a string bow on his guitar that is worth the ticket price alone.

So, basically, give "Joy of Nothing" a listen...then purchase this baby on iTunes, or if you're like me, go old school and get a physical copy because why the hell not. I already checked with my local record store. They're carrying it. ALRIGHT.

No comments:

Post a Comment